Adding contacts makes is easier to not only send messages but also to track replies. In your inbox, messages received by your contacts will appear with the name of the contact as the sender, as opposed to just the mobile number. You can also add contacts to Groups, making it easier to send bulk messages.
You can create contacts either individually, or in bulk via a data import:
Creating individual contacts
1) Click on Contacts and then All Contacts, then click on New Contact:
2) Input the required information
In the left-hand table, the fields available are as follows:
- First Name - first name of contact
- Last Name - surname of contact
- Mobile Phone (required) - international format required. The country should default to the associated account's country.
- Email - email address of contact
- Country - country associated with contact
In the right-hand table, additional information can be entered:
- Groups - Select one or more Contact Groups (groups must be created prior to creating the contact)
- Additional Information- Provide additional information (if required):
- Unsubscribed v Subscribed (a contact will be subscribed by default.Unsubscribed contacts will be unable to receive messages)
- Alias - used as an alternative name for your contact
- Custom fields (x3) - can be used if you have other relevant information on your contact
The information in these fields can be used for message personalisation:
4) Click Save
Your contact will now appear in your "All Contacts" list, and if you added them to a Contact Group, they will appear in the relevant Group as well.
The "Import Contacts" feature allows you to easily and efficiently upload multiple contacts from an external source such as a customer database
The "Import Contacts" option appears in both Contacts > All Contacts and Contacts > Contact Groups and click on Import contacts at the top right of the page:
Uploading contact data
First, you will need to prepare your contact data:
- You will need to ensure your contact list is saved as a .csv or .xls file (the optimal file format is CSV UTF-8, Comma delimited)
- If you do not add the international prefix to your contact numbers, the web portal will assume you are importing numbers local to your preset location in your account settings, and will validate accordingly. This means that international numbers will be rejected without the correct prefix being added
- With local numbers you do not need to add the leading zero to the number to successfully import (e.g. if your spreadsheet cells are formatted as "numbers" then a phone number may appear as "412345678" as opposed to "0412345678" - both formats will be accepted for import)
- You can include additional data to your contact list which can then be mapped to the custom fields of each contact profile
When your contact list is ready, upload it to the web portal using either the "Browse" function or "Drag & Drop" your file straight into the upload window:
- You can select which pre-existing groups to which you would like all contacts imported in the bottom field under "Add to contact groups (optional)"
- You have the option of unsubscribing all of the contacts in the upload (this should only be used for bulk uploading blacklists from other systems, as you can not undo this)
Matching data columns
After uploading your contact data you need to map the information in your spreadsheet to the relevant available fields
- The system will automatically search for the column containing the mobile numbers; however, you can change this if it identifies the incorrect column
- You can match the rest of the data in your spreadsheet by selecting each field and then choosing the corresponding column from the dropdown menu that appears
- After you have selected a column for a variable you will see some sample data from the original spreadsheet
Matching Custom Fields
If your contact database includes additional custom information, then this can be mapped to the "Custom" fields in the contact profile:
You can also import these contacts directly into a contact group (provided the group has already been created). Simply enter the name of the group(s) to which you wish to import the contacts in the field at the bottom of the screen:
Click "Import in the bottom right of the screen to complete the action. You will then be shown a result of the import in a modal.