There's a bunch of ways to send messages in the web portal, so to keep things simple, let's just look at the most common two.
Just like sending a message from your own handset, Quick message is an easy way to send ad hoc messages quickly.
You'll find the Quick Message button in the header bar of every page so it's always one click away:
Follow these basic steps to send a message:
- Enter a number, contact or group name as your recipient(s).
- If you want to use a pre-saved template, select it from the menu.
- Write your message.
- If you have automatic opt-outs set up, you can add your opt-out message by clicking the button.
- Send your message
- You can send to multiple contacts and/or groups with Quick Message.
- If you have any saved templates, you can select them from the drop down in the top left of this box to pre-populate your message.
- You can add an opt-out message using the "Opt out message" option, which will appear in the top right of this box if you have Automatic Unsubscribe activated in your account settings.
- Check the bottom of the message box to see how many characters and messages are being utilised for your send.
Sending an SMS Campaign
In the left-hand menu, click "Campaigns" and then "New Campaign":
First, choose your sender ID:
- Shared numbers pool - your message will be sent from a number selected at random from a common pool. Recipients can reply to this number, but subsequent messages sent to them will appear to be from different numbers
- Use an approved, registered Alpha Tag (business name) - if you have activated this feature on your account, you can enter a business or organisation name to appear as the sender ID on the recipient's phone (otherwise known as an Alpha Tag). Recipients cannot reply to messages sent from a registered Alpha Tag.
- Dedicated Numbers - if you have purchased any dedicated numbers, they will also appear in the dropdown list for this section
Next, enter the recipient(s) name or number, or contact group(s) in the recipient field. You can also search through your contact list and contact groups to add recipients in bulk:
Now, compose your message in the Message content field. You'll see that as you type, the message preview on the right will update in real-time:
When you are happy with your message, click the Send now button in the bottom right corner.
- You can send to multiple contacts and/or groups.
- You can copy a column of numbers from an Excel or CSV file and paste them straight into the recipient field.
- Similar to the Quick Message function, you can quickly add an opt-out message by clicking the dropdown on the "Add unsubscribe" button.
- If you are using personalisation, the preview will show you the content in line with the fields you are using (e.g. if you are sending to a saved contact who's first name is John and you type "Hi #Firstname# ..." the preview will show "Hi John").